Tabernacle United Methodist Church
Saturday, June 24, 2017
Welcome, Worship, Witness in Love

Church history

    

The small one-room log cabin belonging to Jimmy and Jenny Clark hosted the first meeting of Tabernacle Church in 1881.  Pastor M. V. Marshall led the tiny congregation of four charter members which included the Clarks and Misses Marie and Amanda Shiver.  The congregation doubled in the next few years, and in 1889 land at the corner of Poplar Springs Road (Highway 52) and the Old Salt Road (Brannon Stand) was given to the church by Ella S. Sanders.

     Soon a long wooden building facing west with two front doors (one for the women, another for men) was built to house the church family.  Constructed from timbers hewn from members' trees, the building had wood planks on the floor and a pot-bellied stove in the center for heat.

     In 1928 Brannon Stand Road was widened and paved.  Unfortunately, the plan would have put the road right through the pulpit.  The church members took the church apart and moved it so that it faced Highway 52.  The congregation had grown to 114 members.  Into this "new" structure the church placed its first piano, played by Ella Trawick Clark, known as "Mama Dee".  Sunday School classes were held in the four corners of the building, or outside when weather permitted.  Church services, held once a month when the preacher for the "charge " was available, lasted all day and into the night.

     The "Great Revival" in July of 1951 saw thousands of Christians gathered at Tabernacle to hear Dr. Bob Jones and Reverend Allen Smith preach.  They were two of the many young men who have been called to the ministry from Tabernacle in its 125 year history.  All but one remained in the Methodist Church, serving as pastors until retirement.

     Tabernacle became a full time charge in 1970 and built a four bedroom brick parsonage west of the church.  Then, in 1978, the James Mosley Fellowship Hall was built on an adjoining acre of land purchased from the Dawsey estate.  Tabernacle continued to grow and prosper, and in 1991 voted to take the leap of faith and become a full time parish with a full time pastor.

     Since that time God has continued to bless the church family at Tabernacle.  The congregation bought 8 1/2 acres north of the old church building and completed a new sanctuary facility on that site in time for Easter services in 1998.  Eight new Sunday School rooms and new office spaces for the pastor and church secretary were added in 2002 and a new larger, multi-purpose fellowship hall was completed in 2013.  The little log cabin church that began a tradition of Christian service to God at Tabernacle reaches out and invites everyone to participate in its ministry to Jesus Christ.